Did you know that even a small roofing issue can turn into a major repair project if left unchecked? It’s important to look out for the signs that your commercial property’s roof may need attention. But what are these signs? Don’t worry, we have all the information you need.
- Pooled Water – Standing water on a flat or low-slope roof can indicate poor drainage, a clogged gutter system, or a puncture in the roof membrane. If left untreated, this can lead to rot and more serious damage.
- Visible Damage – External damage from storms may not be immediately apparent from the ground level, but it’s important to regularly inspect your roof for any visible signs of damage such as punctures, rips, tears, or holes.
- Missing or Loose Shingles – Roof shingles that are missing, cracked, or have blown off altogether can lead to problems such as water leaks and damage to the underlying structure. Make sure to check for damaged and missing shingles after any major weather event.
- Clogged Gutters and Drains – Clogs in the gutter or downspouts can cause water to back up onto your roof, leading to serious damage if not taken care of quickly. Make sure that the gutters and drains are clear and free-flowing at all times.
- Overhanging Branches – Trees that hang over your roof can cause damage to the shingles or membrane and may even lead to a leak. Make sure to trim back any trees that are close enough to your roof that their branches could be causing damage.
DIY Inspections and Professional Inspections
In between professional appointments, it is important to conduct regular DIY inspections of your commercial roof. Inspect the perimeter and look for any signs of wear or damage that could indicate a problem. Pay extra attention to areas near chimneys, skylights, HVAC units, pipes, and vents. While these are all vulnerable spots on a flat roof, they can be especially vulnerable on a commercial roof with multiple layers of material. Also, check to see if the flashing is securely in place and inspect the condition of sealants around vents and other penetrations.
As well as DIY checks, regular maintenance is key for any commercial roof, so make sure you have regular inspections from a professional to save you time and money in the long. A commercial roof will be exposed to a lot of harsh elements and it’s important to ensure that any repair work is done as soon as possible for long-term performance. Using modern technology and visual checks, experts might spot:
- Blistering or peeling membrane or coating
- Rust, corrosion, or discoloration of metal components
- Degradation, cracking, or splitting of the material
- Leaks around joints, seams, and flashings
- Standing water on the roof
- Wind damage
- Poorly secured fasteners
- Plants growing on the roof
- Buildup of debris
If any of these signs are present, it’s important to deal with the issues as soon as possible. The longer you leave it, the more damage could be caused. A professional roofer can assess the extent of the problem and suggest a repair or replacement solution. For more severe cases, full roof replacement might be necessary. It’s always best to speak to an expert for advice on how to ensure the health of your commercial roof.
As well as keeping your roof healthy, inspections also ensure energy efficiency. Whether you need inspections or commercial cool roof installation in Phoenix, contact experts for assistance today!