Sunday, June 16, 2024
HomeHome-improvementF2A Visa Insights: A Guide for Spouses and Children of Green Card...

F2A Visa Insights: A Guide for Spouses and Children of Green Card Holders

The F-2A category in U.S. immigration refers to a specific type of family-sponsored visa. The F-2A visa is designed for the spouses and unmarried children (under 21 years old) of Lawful Permanent Residents (LPRs) in the United States. LPRs are individuals who have been granted permanent resident status, often through family-sponsored or employment-based immigration.

The F-2A category is part of the larger family-sponsored immigration system, and it has a numerical limit on the number of visas available each fiscal year. The priority date (the date when the immigration petition is filed) is used to determine when an applicant can move forward in the immigration process.

How to apply for a green card in the F2A category?

Applying for a green card in the F2A category involves a multi-step process. Here’s a general overview of the steps:

  • File Form I-130, Petition for Alien Relative:
    • The U.S. citizen or Lawful Permanent Resident (LPR) spouse must file Form I-130, Petition for Alien Relative, on behalf of the foreign spouse (F2A beneficiary).
    • The petitioner (U.S. citizen or LPR spouse) must provide evidence of the relationship, such as marriage certificates, birth certificates, and other supporting documents.
  • USCIS Processing:
    • U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) will review the petition. If additional evidence is needed, they may issue a Request for Evidence (RFE).
    • Once the petition is approved, USCIS will forward it to the National Visa Center (NVC).
  • National Visa Center (NVC) Processing:
    • The NVC will notify the petitioner when the case is received and provide a case number and invoice ID number.
    • The petitioner must pay the appropriate fees online and submit the necessary visa application forms and supporting documents to the NVC.
  • Consular Processing:
    • Once the case is documentarily complete, the NVC will schedule an appointment at the U.S. embassy or consulate in the foreign spouse’s home country.
    • The foreign spouse will attend a visa interview, during which the consular officer will determine if they are eligible for an immigrant visa.
  • Immigrant Visa Issuance:
    • If approved, the foreign spouse will receive an immigrant visa on their passport.
  • Entry to the U.S.:
    • Upon receiving the immigrant visa, the foreign spouse can travel to the United States and seek admission as a permanent resident.
  • Conditional Permanent Residence (if applicable):
    • If the couple has been married for less than two years at the time the immigrant visa is granted, the foreign spouse will receive conditional permanent residence. They must later file Form I-751 to remove the conditions.

What documents are required for a F-2 category application?

When applying for a green card in the F2A category, various documents are required to establish the relationship between the petitioner (U.S. citizen or Lawful Permanent Resident) and the foreign spouse. Keep in mind that document requirements may change, and it’s essential to check the most up-to-date information on the official U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) website or consult with an immigration attorney. The following documents are generally required:

  • Form I-130, Petition for Alien Relative:
    • The completed and signed Form I-130 must be submitted by the petitioner. This form establishes the familial relationship between the petitioner and the foreign spouse.
  • Proof of U.S. Citizenship or Lawful Permanent Residence:
    • For U.S. citizens, a copy of a birth certificate, passport, or certificate of naturalization.
    • For Lawful Permanent Residents, a copy of the green card or other evidence of LPR status.
  • Proof of Relationship:
    • Marriage certificate for the petitioner and foreign spouse.
    • Any relevant documents proving the legitimacy of the marriage, such as joint bank accounts, joint leases, or photographs.
  • Passport-Style Photos:
    • Passport-style photographs of the petitioner and the foreign spouse.
  • Biographical Information:
    • Copies of the biographical pages of the passports for both the petitioner and the foreign spouse.
  • Filing Fees:
    • Payment for the required filing fees associated with Form I-130.
  • Affidavit of Support (Form I-864):
    • The petitioner must submit an Affidavit of Support, demonstrating their ability to financially support the foreign spouse.
  • Proof of Legal Name Change (if applicable):
    • If either the petitioner or foreign spouse has undergone a legal name change, documentation supporting the change.
  • Divorce or Death Certificates (if applicable):
    • If either the petitioner or foreign spouse was previously married, documents proving the termination of any prior marriages, such as divorce or death certificates.
  • Translations:
    • If any documents are in a language other than English, translations must be provided.

Most Popular